- Measurement Method
- Real-time Aethalometer® method, 5 wavelength absorption analysis by measuring the rate of change of transmitted light due to continuous particle deposition on filter. Measurement at 880 nm interpreted as concentration of Black Carbon (‘BC’). Measurement at 375 nm interpreted as Ultraviolet Particulate Matter (‘UVPM’) indicative of woodsmoke, tobacco, and biomass burning.
- Measurement Wavelengths
- 880 nm, 625 nm, 528 nm, 470 nm, 375 nm
- DualSpot® Loading Compensation
- Real-time analysis by measuring the rate of change in absorption of transmitted light due to the continuous collection of aerosol on filter. Simultaneous collection on two spots in parallel at different flow rates.
- 1, 5, 10, 30, 60, or 300 seconds
- Flow Rates
- Internal pump provides 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, or 170 ml/min. DualSpot® compensation not compatible with all settings.
- Measurement Range
- Per sampling location, 0-1 mg BC/m3, filter sampling location lifetime dependent on concentration and flow rate setting, decreasing proportionally with lowest wavelength optical source enabled:
IR only mode, average 5 μg BC/m3 for 24 hours at 100 ml/min
IR only mode, average 100 μg BC/m3 for 3 hours at 50 ml/min
IR only mode, average 1 mg BC/m3 for 15 minutes at 50 ml/min
- Measurement Resolution
- 0.001 μg BC/m3
- Limit of Detection
- 30 ng BC/m3, 5 min timebase., 150 ml/min flow rate, SingleSpot™
- Pump Options
- Standard internal diaphragm pump.
- Flow Control
- Internal mass flowmeters with closed-loop control
- Filter Material / Capacity
- MA300/350 Filter Tape Cartridge with Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) material (85 sampling locations)
- 3 mm diameter spot(s) created on filter tape. User selectable DualSpot® or SingleSpot™ mode.
- Environmental Sensors
- Accelerometer, Relative Humidity, Temperature, Altimeter/Barometer
- L: 165.20 mm (6.50 in), W: 125.20 mm (4.93 in), D: 39.70 mm (1.56 in)
- 715 grams (25.22 ounces)
- 16 GB internal flash memory, providing storage for 31,250,000 data lines; 1 second timebase: 361 days of data.
- On-board Interface
- Low power screen, 3 buttons
- Location Services
- GPS with Internal Antenna
- Date/Time Format
- ISO 8601 with satellite synchronization or manual computer synchronization
- 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi with AES hardware encryption, Bluetooth Low Energy. Available in future firmware releases.
- USB 2.0, 3.3V TTL Serial, DC input via barrel jack, Aerosol sample inlet and outlet ports
- USB Communication / Client Application
- USB connectivity to cross-platform microAeth® Manager software available on macOS® and Windows®. microAeth Manager software is included and facilitates settings configuration and data download. Exported data can be uploaded to AethLabs Dashboard server for processing and visualization.
- Serial Communication
- 3.3V TTL serial connectivity for uploading new instrument firmware, flow calibration, streaming data and polling protocols to request data, modify settings and control. Command line interface (CLI) polling protocols: AethLabs protocol and Bayern-Hessen protocol.
- Total Run Time
- Up to 56 hours at 60 second timebase, 100 ml/min flow rate on single battery charge. Run time may vary due to PM concentrations and settings.
- Internal 3.6V 12800 mAh (46.08 Wh), 4 cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Fast charging DC via barrel jack AC adapter (~11.75 hours to full charge, instrument turned off) or
USB charging (~25.75 hours to full charge, instrument turned off)
Power Supply Adapter: Input: 100~240 VAC 50/60Hz 0.4A, Output: 5VDC / 2A, with option for Type A, C, G, or I plug
- Operating Environment
- 5 ~ 40 °C operating, non-condensing.
- microAeth MA300, 1 MA300/350 Filter Tape Cartridge, Barrel jack AC adapter with 1 territory-specific plug, USB communication/charging cable, Serial to USB converter cable, 1 one meter sampling hose with swivel tube connector, Lapel clip for sampling hose. Cross-platform microAeth® Manager software and manual available for download via AethLabs website
- Accessories & Consumables
- MA300/350 Filter Tape Cartridge, MA Series Flow Calibration Kit, microCyclone™ PM2.5 Size-selective Inlet, Serial to bare leads cable, Portable Aerosol Dryer
Specifications are subject to change without notice. microAeth MA Series products are protected by patent #8,411,272. Additional patents pending. Aethalometer® and DualSpot® are trademarks of Magee Scientific Corp. used under license.